April 09, 2007

E-mail: Male Baby Names Part I

I'm not allowed to publish my "opinions" about the four girls' names Mr & Mrs Croak are contemplating, but my list of fabulous boy names is safe for the gossipy public. Their first two children were named Imogene Croak & Arlen Croak.

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:25:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:"James Welsch" <_@itwaslost.org>
Subject: Male Names Part I
To:"Mike & Esther Croak" <________@hotmail.com>
CC:Send an Instant Message "Jenny Ruth Crawford" <__________@yahoo.com>

A few ideas (I'm sitting at work doing nothing, but using my brain, my strongest muscle since that tongue injury) for boys. You'll notice I have a penchant for the strong, old-fashion name.


Henry - My father's & my middle name, also my grandfather's & great-grandfather's name. A classy name which has fallen out of favor, a king's name, most oftenly associated with Henry VIII, who was, among other things, a sharp intellectual & religious innovator.

Serafino - I just noticed it as one of the many middle names of the gay 19th Century writer, Frederick William Serafino Austin Lewis Mary Rolfe the Lord Corvo. Fiery angel. I've always liked "Sera" as a boy's name too, & it's never too late to give your son seven names plus a title.

Resolved - My ancestor who was the only pregnancy on the Mayflower, Resolved White. I guess that's pretty eccentric, but "Rezi" is cool.

Melville - author of the best book. "Mel" has now skipped a generation, & can probably be safely brought back without its Borscht-Belt associations (i.e. Mel Brooks, another of my heroes.)

Ignatius - the 2nd Century Christian whose awesome epistles got cut from the bible--; also, St. Ignatius of Loyola founded the Jesuits. Definitely a classy name, perhaps more associated these days with the hero of "A Confederacy of Dunces". Maybe Iggy?

Augustus - Octavio Caesar gave himself this name, meaning "totally cool", when he inherited the empire. Then he messed up the calendar, stole some days from February, & created the month August. In 1869, Adolphus Busch, an innovative beer brewer with great ambition, married Eberhard Anheuser's daughter. His great-great-grandson August Anheuser Busch IV is now the Chairman of the Board.

Sirius - Canine/stars - Sirius Black from Harry Potter.

Dugong - One of Jenny's & my favorite sea mammals, one of the oceans only herbivores. Dugong Croak!

Busby - like Busby Berkeley, who was (according to Wikipedia) "famous for his elaborate musical production numbers that often involved complex geometric patterns".

Roy - another old cowboy name like Arlen. My uncle who teachers statistics at M.I.T. is named Roy Elmer Welsch.

Spenser - It's funny this name has a weak connotation. Edmund Spenser wrote the longest poem in the English language, hardly girly work.

Jonah - As far as biblical names go, how can you beat the prophet who rode inside a whale?

James - the most common male baby name from the 40s thru 60s, it has now fallen tragically to 17! We need all the help we can get, especially to beat out upstarts like Tyler (16) or Ethan (5!).

Luckily, just about any name sounds great with Croak. Maybe not Sirius, but certainly all of the strong Latin-y names like Ignatius or Adolphus sound great.

I'll e-mail you when I think of more. Don't forget the baby names graph: http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Peace,

James

No comments: