January 07, 2010

R.I.P Lhasa de Sela



I was not previously familiar with this singer, but friend-of-the-blog Muffy Sainte-Marie posted this beautiful song with the following obituary:

I blogged about Lhasa's new album back in April and have been listening to it (and her other two albums) ever since. I didn't know she was sick, and was floored to hear the news via CBC radio a few days ago that Lhasa died on New Year's Day of breast cancer. I feel such a huge sense of loss - I did not know her personally, but her music has been with me since La Llorona (a magical, magical album!) - I consider her to be one of the greatest talents ever to grace this planet. Her passing is so hard to believe. God bless Lhasa, and God bless her family in what must be an incredibly difficult time. Lhasa, you will be deeply, deeply missed by all who knew you and loved you. Thank you for all you gave us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely person. We were lucky to have her, and are lucky to have recordings of her music. thanks for passing this on. RIP.

Muffy Sainte-Marie said...

So glad you're sharing this. She was so beautiful.
Muffy