July 21, 2011

Firewhiskey Recipe 2011 - How to make Firewhiskey

Because the top search term leading people to this site the past month was "firewhiskey recipe," I will gladly reprint an update in a simpler, less wordy fashion, than the recipe from my essay about alcohol in the Harry Potter books:

-Slowly warm up half bottle of scotch on low heat, DO NOT BOIL!
-In a separate small pot, add various spices to about a cup of water (which can be heated to a near boil.) I recommend ample amounts of various hot chili sauces, cayenne pepper, chipotle, turmeric, nutmeg, and anything else in your spice cabinet that may have a kick.
-Mix the pots and poor into shot glasses. (Make sure it's not so hot to burn your mouth when you take the shots!)
-Chase with butterbeer.

In my original version, I used Dave's Insanity Sauce, which is a hot sauce so hot that it needs to be diluted. Since you may not be using this, there might not be any reason to dilute the spices in the cup of water, and if you wish, just add them directly to the whiskey. I'd appreciate feedback in comments!

Note on the spelling: In my original post on firewhiskey & butterbeer recipes, I spelled it "firewhisky." However, most everywhere else on the internet spells it firewhiskey, so I assume they're correct. (Generally, "whisky" is the Irish spelling, and "whiskey" everywhere else.) I don't have the books in front of me to look up how Rowling spells it, but I just noticed, in the Harry Potter Wiki, both spellings are used there for different brands: "Popular brands include Ogden's Old Firewhiskey and Blishen's Firewhisky."
_________________________________________________________________


Please "like" our band The Manna Tease on facebooks:

No comments: