July 04, 2007

Mime Review, and my July Fourth Set List

I was separated from my friends this Independence Day, curses from a dead mobile phone battery, & I ended up alone in San Francisco's Mission Delores Park for the least patriotic birthday our country's ever felt. The San Francisco Mime troupe put on a free musical about Dick Cheney & some gay war reporters, which was some sharp & broad political humor. One of the songs was about 'where you find love, you'll find America'. Another song, a love song between the gay soldiers reminiscing about their homeland rendezvous, had the hook "we're not in Wisconsin anymore." The show also included Condi Rice zapping Cheney with a heart attack remote control. I had sort of written off anti-Bush political humor as having nowhere to grow, but this was the best I've ever seen it; our country's just gotten bitterer & the jokes blacker.

I was dressed in light blue & white, to match my new Fluke ukulele, with a flag tie, & I played a forty-five minute set on the sidewalk - pulling in a whopping four dollars (£2), which I'm drinking right now. My God-Bless-America set list, to tickle the curiosity of those in Hawaii & in the Twenty-Second Century, & to make me grin in my sweet dementia when I live in Hawaii in the Twenty-Second Century:

Rocky Mountain High (Colorado's State Song, written by some God-fearing stoner, the "Seam Thong" of the Mountainous Ukulele Style)
My Home Town (Alan Price)
I'll Follow the Sun (Lennon/McCartney)
Vatican Rag (Tom Lehrer)
Tiptoe Thru the Tulips (Al Dubin & Joe Burke)
I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper (sung for a young lass's birthday)
River del Montague (which I wrote when I was sixteen)
Broadway Baby (Stephen Sondheim)
Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head (Burt Bacharach & Hal David)
Little Grass Shack (Bill Cogswell, Tommy Harrison & Johnny Noble)
Dear Someone (Gillian Welch)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (George M. Cohen)
Battle Hymn of the Republic (with some of my own verses).


I am not attempting this record for the money. It is enough for me to know that I have inspired an entire generation of young people to grow long body hairs and achieve their own dreams.

-Doug Williams, my colleague at Sarah Lawrence College,
who was just entered in Guinness for the world's longest nipple hair, from his press release.


Liberals don’t believe in free exchange, tolerance, or the marketplace of ideas. They believe in the iron boot of liberalism stamping out any view that upsets the liberal apple cart.

-Brent Bozell, President of the so-called "Media Research Center",
waxing all mixed metaphoric on Elizabeth Edwards & Ann Coulter


Stepping in a rhythm to a Kurtis Blow
Who needs to think when your feet just go?

With a hiditihi & a hipitiho,

Who needs to think when your feet just go?

Who needs to think when your feet just go?

James Brown,
James Brown,

James Brown,
James Brown
.

-The Tom-Tom Club, "Genius of Love"

No comments: