April 17, 2008

Bob Dylan: "What Can I do for you?" & "Pressing On"

I just finished reading David Hadju's lovely & novelistic book "Positively 4th Street: The Life & Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Fariña, & Richard Fariña", which chronicles the various interlocking soap-operatic relationships & art of four interesting people, their journeys thru & beyond the folk revival. I've been singing some of Fariña's songs & reading his novel, & I will write more about him later, hopefully. However, since it's beautiful outside, & the blogging has been infrequent, I wanted to post two live versions of songs from Bob Dylan's forgotten Christian-gospelly album Saved (1980); since it was hated when it was released, I invite you to reconsider these beautiful songs below:




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone I know once asked a Hasidic rebbe if he still considered Bob Dylan to be a Jew after his being born-again and so on and so forth and all the swerves in his often perplexing religious journey. The rebbe replied- "Of course Bob Dylan is a Jew. He does all this stuff because he wants to irritate people like me. And he wants to irritate people like me precisely because he is a Jew."
may be true or false, but in any case, Bobby D. seems pretty fervent in his praising of Jesus. He does leave the stage a bunch with a weird look on his face, though. Is it because he feels guilty? is his own act freaking him out? Or is he just thirsty?

S. Sandrigon said...

This could be cynical, but I think it's possible he converted to Christianity just so he could sing with black people.

I think that first song is really something.

Anonymous said...

this blog is soooooooo slow, remove the digg apps!

THOMAS GRASTY said...

Great videos. Haven't seen those in a while. Anyway, since you are clearly a fan, I thought I'd introduce you to my new novel, BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, which I think you'd enjoy.

It's a murder-mystery. But not just any rock superstar is knocking on heaven's door. The murdered rock legend is none other than Bob Dorian, an enigmatic, obtuse, inscrutable, well, you get the picture...

Suspects? Tons of them. The only problem is they're all characters in Bob's songs.

You can get a copy on Amazon.com or go "behind the tracks" at www.bloodonthetracksnovel.com to learn more about the book.

S. Sandrigon said...

Re: the speed, I've been worried about that, altho it loads no slower on my computer than any other website. And it seems fine on my friends' fancy macs.
I'll leave the diggs in temporarily, in case they are helping people find this site, but consider removing them if more people complain.

Re: Dylan book guy, that's a pretty shameless plug, but thanks for visiting!