December 15, 2009

Collaboration from Both Sides: Strangling a Monkey with the Hands of a Clock


One Matthew Weiss alerted me to this mind-boggling collaboration, here featuring two names that I never expected to see together, Tom Waits & Kool Keith. N.A.S.A.'s release The Spirit of Apollo is rife with such pairings, including such notables as David Byrne, RZA, George Clinton, and Del. All in all, the album should be filed under "not as good as you hope, but still a good time." KRS-ONE's contribution is predictably enough called "Hip Hop," which induces the response, "come off it, KRS." We know that you love hip hop and enjoy writing its history with you at the center, but you don't need to make an idol of it to such an extent. Give us something else.

The Spirit of Apollo is the second collaborative effort I've listened to this year that features the voice of Ol' Dirty Bastard from beyond the grave, the first being Blakroc's eponymous album. And so my question is this: Is there a gigantic archive of unused ODB material that people are dipping into? If so, how can I gain access? Or am I missing something?

No comments: