February 11, 2006

Book Review: "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I have been reading books wherever I am staying, but sometimes when I go somewhere else, I have not finished the book. I read Part One of The Red Tent at Lauren Morgan's place in Fort Collins. What happens in Part Two? I'll have to wait until I stay with someone else who has it.

In Jennie Lee's apartment in Brooklyn, I read out loud all but the last twenty pages of Cat's Cradle. What happens in the end? The narrator is a Bokononist, a religion based on lies, with an openmindedness that puts Unitarian Universalists to shame. The Wikipedia entry is hardly sufficient:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokononism.

Bokonon writes: "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."

Q.E.D., if the Labaree house in Brookline, Mass., doesn't have Vonnegut, then it is not "sucky," as a middle schooler might deem it, but rather blessed by God; so pick up Roz Chast if that's what's there. Do you expect every reviewer in the New York Times or the Onion A.V. to have read the entire book which they review?

"God never wrote a good play in his life." -Bokonon

No comments: