October 23, 2009

Demo Mp3 of "Ortonville" on electric guitar



I've been singing this hymn from the Sacred Harp with guitar for a few years. I recorded it yesterday to practice recording with electric guitar at home, which I can never get to sound very good. I'm not that satisfied with the results, but for anyone who wants a homemade recording of my version of this song, I'll put it up.



(I sung the same song into youtubes a year or so ago.) "Ortonville", 68b in the Sacred Harp, was written in 1837 by Thomas Hastings. The text is from John Newton (who also wrote "Amazing Grace"):

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
in a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
and drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole
and calms the troubled breast,
is manna to the hungry soul
and to the weary rest.

Dear name! the rock on which I build,
my shield and hiding place,
my never failing treasury, filled
with boundless stores of grace:

No comments: