December 01, 2010

Advent Calendar of Non-Overplayed Christmas Songs No. I

Happy December! & It's officially overplayed Christmas songs season, altho I heard my first carol in an advertisement this year before Halloween. So I hereby spearhead an initiative for a Special Department for December 1st thru 24th called "Advent Calendar of Non-Overplayed Christmas Songs." Whalaa! Let it be so!


In the first pigeon-cubby-hole, we find a lost song from John Denver's 1975 Christmas album Rocky Mountain Holiday. (I think a good place to look for Non-Overplayed Christmas Songs are among those one or two half-hearted originals an artist will throw in their Christmas Album surrounded by the overplayed ones that will inevitably get more radio play.) This song has a twangy upbeat country groove, making it sound like a light-hearted, even mildly comic take on Christmas alcoholism, even with a dopey title "Please, Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas." But on closer inspection, there's no jokes in the lyrics, & it's actually pretty depressing.

John Denver - Please, Daddy .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine


An excerpt from the lyrics:

Please Daddy, don’t get drunk this Christmas.
I don’t wanna see my Mumma cry.
Please Daddy, don’t get drunk this Christmas.
I don’t wanna see my Mumma cry.

Mumma smiled and looked outside the window.
She told me, "Son, you better go upstairs."
Then you laughed & hollered, "Merry Christmas!"
I turned around & saw my Mumma’s tears.

No comments: