December 07, 2010

Advent Calendar of Non-Overplayed Christmas Songs No. VII

I couldn't find a recording of Jean Ritchie singing "There was a pig went out to dig" anywhere on the internet, but here's the great folksinger singing another Decemberry song "Wintergrace":





Otherwise, I recommend her 1959 album Carols for All Seasons, which includes the forgotten Christmas carol "There was a pig went out to dig." (Links to the iTunes store.) Here's the lyrics:
There was a Pig went out to dig
Chris-I-mas Day, Chris-I-mas Day
There was a Pig went out to dig
On Chris-I-mas Day in the morning!

There was a Cow went out to plough,
. . . &c.
There was a Sparrow went out to harrow,
. . . &c.
There was a Crow went out to sow,
. . . &c.
There was s Sheep went out to reap,
. . . &c.
There was a Drake went out to rake,
. . . &c.
There was a Minnow went out to winnow,
. . . &c.

No comments: