December 06, 2010

Unexpected Edinburgh Discovery: Texting


I don't have to tell you that I am not known for my text(verb) habit. So I won't.
But I will tell you that due to a recent change of living place, I am texting for the first time in my life.
It took me a while to figure out the predicting
text thing. In my phone it is, mysteriously, "T9Abc," or "T9ABC" if you are into using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
I discovered that many common words are surrounded by other common words (and nonsense words) in such a way that often one must scroll
through a bunch of other words before reaching the desired word.
I don't have to tell you this because you have
been texting for some time now and understand this phenomenon which, to me, is the greatest kept secret of all texters.
This secret, this journey, is what I am so excited about.
Here are some examples:

I want to text the word "home" instead the word "good" appears. When I venture to find my "home" I am greeted by the following list:
gooe
inof
hond
inne
imme
goof
hone
hoof
hood
gone
and finally, home.

I am interested in typing "lust," T9Abc assumes I am interested in "just." And my only other option is Kurt, then comes lust.
This must be some weird hole in this whole text thing I have discovered. Why only three reasonable words (one a proper noun!?) for this particular key combination?

I want basil. I get:
cash?
bari
abri
acri
casi
carg
cari
barg
capi
basi
bash
cash

Of course, it will never become "basil" because it dropped the question mark place after "cash?"; tragically peaking at "basi."

I hope that next time you text you notice these things.


2 comments:

Brains said...

When I try "Liam" I get "Khan." "Misti" is "mirth."

Olaf Mary said...

O yeah! that's what i forgot to mention! Names are really fun to do. and then you can have a special new secret nickname for your friend!