December 28, 2008

Different Shepherds - JUNE STAR

The text "While shepherds watch'd their flocks by night" has been set to music hundreds of times. On Christmas Day, 2008, I wrote four more settings, which, with a possibility of many more, I'll publish in the "additional songs" section at the end of the Western Harmony, under the title "Different Shepherds". They're all short three-part shaped-note carols & I'll publish the scores on this website as soon as I can get them scanned. (In the music industry, Christmas albums have to be recorded in June, so June Christmas Carols have to be composed & prepared by December.) So, I'll try & get recordings of the other three settings up at this blog before we hit the 308-post limit for the year. Download that mp3 here.



I use this variant on the text (the original psalm is by British Poet Laureate Nahum Tate, 1700):

While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down,
And glory shone around.

All glory be to God on high,
And to the Earth be peace;
Good will henceforth from Heaven to men
Begin and never cease!

No comments: