October 28, 2008

Different Palins

I'm about to head up to Lake Tahoe for my young brother's nuptials. During my free time, I'll be able to scan my two new Western Harmony anthems, exciting stuff, one of which is a celebration of the dancing in the streets I anticipate on November Fourth. "Let the slave grinding at the mill run out into the field." So come back to the website in due time for fresh recordings & shape-note scores.

If you're not familiar with Steve Reich's use of speech-melody, a compositional technique he's developed & returned to thru-out the decades, especially in the pieces Different Trains, City Life, & his two multimedia operas The Cave & Three Tales. If you have a few minutes before watching the third video posted here, spend some time with the clips below from City Life (1995).




The following is pianist Henry Hey's speech-melody derivation of Sarah Palin's interview with Katie Couric:

No comments: