November 11, 2008

Bring on the Fetters

I spent hours the other day trying to remember this verse I thought I had written while asleep - - - then for some reason it just came to me. Since everyone's talking about marriage, & I got in an epic argument with my mother about the appropriate time & reason for such bizarre activity (I told her I didn't want to be part of an exclusive club), I'll post it for the record & as an example of the type of poetry written during R.E.M.

William Blake thought marriage was fetters,
But he lo
ved his wife.
She was the watercolorist in his life,
So bring out the champagne on platters!


I'm republishing some of my original nonsense poetry over here at TestPattern's new literary canon blog. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to continue to explore that genre or charter new waters, but for those of you who missed it the first time around, it's all over the archives of this blog.

Click on the image below to read Blake's Visions of the Daughters of Albion (1793) from a facsimile of one of the surviving prints. This poem can read as an exhortation against the bonds of marriage (including a loud feminist rant for sexual freedom), & his printing was watercolored by his wife Catherine Blake.

2 comments:

Brains said...

keith olberman reports an Arrested Development movie is going to happen. oh happy day!

S. Sandrigon said...

Funny, we were just discussing it, & I checked its status on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/. It's still only "announced".
What did Olberman "report" about it?