November 11, 2008

O-bituaries for ever!


My Brother, Thomas Patrick Golden, begins each day scanning the San Francsico Chronicle's Obituaries. "I start with the
Mc's and then go to the O' -'s, to see if anyone I know has died." This is absolutely true, inevitable. I have seen my brother in the middle of a morning, reckless, confused, searching a hotel lobby, then the breakfast diner racks for any word of the dead. He cannot begin to breath until he has this knowledge of his brethren's passing into that world beyond, crossing back over that thick river, tipping his bloody mary, clearing his eggs away with the crispy bacon, preparing for that first Powers, "To your health in this world and may you be a baker's hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead." so to speak. Well, I am my brother's brother and have found a fondness for the Obituary page of any rag, digital or otherwise, and so will subject you to the dead on occasion to occassion in you those mortal thoughts, so precious.
In this our first O - for ever installment I choose to focus on the many musicians passed in this year of our passing, 2008. It seems many folks very dear to me have called it quits lately. Click on the pictures below, they may have something hidden within.

Jimmy Carl Black
Miriam MakebaBo Diddley
Alton EllisDorival Caymmi
Raymond Kane
Andy Palacio
Saban Bajramovic
Israel "Cachao" Lopez
Dee Dee Warwick
Levi Stubbs
Ruedi Rymann
Hakurotwi Mude
Ira B. Tucker
Lili Boniche
Ronnie Drew
Isaac Hayes

1 comment:

S. Sandrigon said...

A beautiful & thoughtful post. The Raymond Kane song is so lovely, please click on it & listen to it people.