November 04, 2008

Election Day Part One: CALIFORNIA, VOTE YES ON PROP 2!

I just got back from voting, around the corner at the Harriet Tubman Terrace by the Berkeley Bowl. I was number 124 at 8am, a comparatively short line compared to the rest of the nation: I waited for about ten minutes. When Jenny Ruth early-voted at the Courthouse in Oakland on Saturday, there was a crazy long line in the pouring rain. It's a beautiful sunny Californian autumn day today. I'll check back over there periodically to see if things get weirder. Definitely a good mood over there, tho.

This is unrelated, but this photograph is my best man speech from my younger brother's wedding last Thursday. A speech I'd sooner forget, but a nice appropriate image for my pontifications below.


CALIFORNIA, VOTE YES on PROPOSITION 2! How rare is it that animal rights gets onto a ballet, & this one is exciting. It would make sure that animals live in cages large enough to stretch their wings & "stand up or lie down". Amazing! Now, while the California faction of It Was Lost Nation is systematically opposed to all forms of walls or cages (I'm against walls & Jenny Ruth is against cages), & while it would have been nice to see this provision insure that animals are able to turn around, it's a step in the right direction. Don't you dare listen to those phony animal groups (like hippogriffs united) warning of the dire diseases that could break out should Prop 2 pass, & the billions it could cost the poor struggling meat industry, they're just afraid that letting chickens live in cages big enough to "stretch their wings" would start in motion the precipitous descent towards universal vegetarianism they so fear. Remember that 90% of pigs in America live indoors for their entire short lives in metal cages too small for them to turn around in - & pigs are smarted than dogs! Imagine if your neighbor treated their dog that way, would you, I ask you, come over for "dog soup" at your neighbor's house? I see very little moral difference between that & eating bacon. Anyway, Vote Yes on 2 & tell your trophy wife friends.

And, of course, No on 8. I was moved by this press conference that San Diego's Republican Mayor gave this summer on his decision not to veto a gay-marriage bill. One of the most naked, emotional speeches given about equal rights in the 21st Century.

5 comments:

Brains said...

I've had two speeches for two wedded siblings and I would also like to forget them. Maybe it's the free drinks, makes us into silly midday orators? Congratulations to the W. clan and hopefully a positive election outcome today.

pele said...

Between your Sunny D Mayor and Lee's Mr Roger post, I could hardly keep my self together for Joy and Wonder. Starting to feel emotionally manipulated, I recovered by watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xatZgEZ62fU

S. Sandrigon said...

It's an emotional day, pele, truly.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for highlighting the importance of voting Yes on Prop 2, I helped gather signatures to get in on the ballot and am so excited about the good it could do for millions of animals in factory farms!

S. Sandrigon said...

Thank you Amber!