February 07, 2009

BEER - solo wiggly voice version

There is a four-part shape-note version of this song, written for the Western Harmony, but this afternoon I opened the windows & sang a lonesome solo version using my wiggly voice.

The text is William Blake's poem "The Little Vagabond" from Songs of Innocence & of Experience (1794).

Download this mp3 here. I'll post the four-part shape-note score with a different recording some day.




Dear Mother, dear Mother, the Church is cold,
But the Ale-house is healthy & pleasant & warm:
Besides I can tell where I am use'd well,
Such usage in heaven will never do well.

But if at the Church they would give us some Ale.
And a pleasant fire, our souls to regale:
We'd sing and we'd pray all the live-long day:
Nor ever once wish from the Church to stray.

And God like a father rejoicing to see.
His children as pleasant and happy as he:
Would have no more quarrel with devil or barrel
But kiss him & give him both drink and apparel.



3 comments:

Rachel said...

I really like this.

S. Sandrigon said...

Thanks, Rachel. I've always been weary about setting the Songs of Innocence & of Experience to music, but I made an exception for this appropriate poem.

jessica said...

And thank *you*, James. I was a'feared that I would for some time be the sole resulting object of any search in your Blog against the keyword "Beer." And yet so little satisfying of thirst am I!

If you send me the parts, I will make every effort to learn the alto before April, when I hope to be able to sing it with you, if you're willing. Even if I must use a wiggly voice!