February 23, 2009

DOLORES - Shape-Note Score & Demo Solo-Quartet Recording



This is a song I found from my research into Christian Rock. I'd like to exert a greater effort searching thru that mysterious genre (and all Modern Christian music in general, from the bland devotional to the underground rap) looking for the rare gems. Thank you Mrs Whiting Smith for tipping me off to some of the stuff she listened to in her born-again youth. Michael W Smith is a real find, the sexy 1980s Christian Pop. I arranged this song last year, into a four-part shape-note folk hymn, & spent quite awhile tinkering with the harmonies & rhythms. Some of the words have been changed, & many of the harmonies. The attempt was to find the traditional American roots in the flashy 80s pop song. I'm not sure I succeeded, but the result is at least interesting. These demo recordings, I remind you, are simply to preview the harmonies, I apologize for their amaturity. (Download that mp3 here. If you'd like a pdf of the score, it's page 8 in this pdf.) The handsome bearded man pictured is John Babson Lane Soule, the man who actually originally supposedly said "Go West, young man."

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hearing this has been the best part of my day (my week, even!) Wonderful, wonderful. Love, Mrs. Smith

Anonymous said...

oooh! I like it. very much.

S. Sandrigon said...

Thank you, ladies. Go West, young ladies.